01. The First Law of Thermodynamics is energy into the system = useful energy which is delivered + wasted energy. Energy efficiency is useful energy out divided by energy input. By achieve a bigger number from this calculation we increase our efficiency. For example by using a compacts fluorescents bulb in the house we can increase the efficiency
02. Buildings consume over 40% of the total energy and it is growing fast than we can imagine, this number by 2030 will enlarge to 55%. Current model for home use 190 thousand joules per square meter and the best prototype is 11 thousand joules per square meter which can make a big deference in saving energy. Most primary energy uses in US are lighting (for commercial sector 25.2% and residential sector 6.8%) and space heating and water heating (for residential sector 39.8%, 16.9% and commercial sector 32.4%).But climate make a big difference. For example in Phoenix area air conditioning has a bigger number compare to space heating. Data from US department of energy and Hunn Chapter 01.
03. ENERGY STAR Program is a program which “voluntary labeling program designed to identify and promote energy-efficient products in order to achieve long-lasting market transformation.” It is cover the entire building sector like office equipment, residential, new homes, commercial buildings, major appliances, home electronics, windows and also residential and commercial lighting.
04. LEED Green Building Rating System which is a national standard for sustainable buildings. It is Some LEED certification standards are New construction and major renovation projects (NC), Existing building operations (EB), Commercial interiors projects (CI), Core and shell projects (CS), Homes (H) and Neighborhood development (ND)
05. Simulation Programs is a building thermal simulation which allows us to model a building before or after renovations. Also give a chance to architects and designers to try different energy alternatives, compare them and use the best option. It is more economical and less time consuming.
06. HVAC = Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning. HVAC systems help to control the climate and humidity and keep dwellers comfortable by regulating the temperature and air flow.